Monday 27 June 2011

A Bit About Me - Instead of My Profile

You will have to read this instead of my profile.

As a life-long cyclist and youth hostel enthusiast it seems very odd that having decided to retire my first few hostel visits were mainly by public transport and walking, although this was mainly due to time restraints, bad weather and not (at that time) having a bike suitable for more than a couple of days touring.
I took the decision to retire at the end of August 2010 and move from Nottinghamshire to Bedford, which I did over the bank holiday weekend - then on the following Tuesday immediately moved back to Nottinghamshire to help out my company, covering for staff on holiday. This resulted in me retiring on 3 September, 43 years to the day since my first day as an apprentice.
During early September I visited Sherringham and Hunstanton hostels. This gave me a chance, whilst at Sherringham, to visit the preserved North Norfolk Railway, which was running steam trains on the day of my visit.
Beware if visiting Sherringham - if you need to eat, do so early in the afternoon. This is the second time I have been caught out in this town, most of the eating places seem to close early, leaving a poor choice of fish-and-chip shops.
I also got to look in at the Norfolk Wildlife Trust site at Blakeney and to walk part of the Norfolk Coastal Path between Wells and Brancaster - great use of the bus pass to get on and off at will and also at no charge. Hunstanton hostel was due to close at the end of the season so this was possibly my last chance to visit. I generally do not like to see closures but in Hunstanton's case I will make an exception. It was looking rather sad and in need of repair - probably more costs than could be justified.

Shortly after I was off again to Saffron Walden, this time by bike and had an enjoyable ride through Cambridgeshire and north Essex.

Just prior to Christmas I had planned to ride to Cambridge and Bradwell hostels (on different occasions). Both turned out to be bus journeys due to heavy frost, ice and snow. I don't mind bike riding in these conditions, it's the falling off I don't like, it tends to hurt.

Talk to anyone who retires and they will tell you that life suddenly becomes very busy. I planned a walking (again) trip to the Lake District for early April but had to bring it forward to February as it clashed with a six-weeks trip to Cyprus (I told you life got busy!). Just prior to going I got the chance to purchase a new touring bike, which I collected on the way to the Lakes and decided to give it a test whilst there. The route was Kendall, Windermere, Hawkshead and Ambleside hostels, each are all within easy walking distance of each other. This is a bit of a disadvantage for a cyclist, it is only a short days cycling and  means a lot of hanging around, especially as it either rained or snowed every day. Never mind, I had a good time and was ready for the warmth of Cyprus. Whilst there it was not all fun-in-the-sun, I spent at least two weeks (!) painting and decorating.
Early May saw a two-day trip to Stratford-upon-Avon, 83 miles one way, 93 miles return. This is a journey through Northamptonshire, Buckinghamshire and Warwickshire, over the range of hills that rise in the Cotswolds and extend diagonally across the country to The Wash in Lincolnshire - they have to finish there, the land runs out. A hilly ride but in warm weather a pleasant two days. It was a profitable trip, I found a £20.00 note by the roadside on the way and another £5.00 shortly before arrival.
Statford-upon-Avon Youth Hostel
Whilst not out enjoying myself cycling around the countryside I have to turn this:


Into something a bit more usable. At the end of the summer, although it is not finished, it looks like this:


During mid-January 2012 I made a visit to Streatley on Thames youth hostel, in Oxfordshire. The original idea was to stay here when I was on the 'A Quaker village and the University Way' tour but the accommodation did not fit in so it had to be a trip on it's own.
I left the bike at home on this one, taking the express coach to Oxford then service buses to Wallingford and on to Streatley. All free-of-charge using a concessionary bus pass and spending time in Oxford on both days.
Having been in Cyprus for a while I made my first cycle trip of 2012 at the end of April to Lee Valley youth hostel, near Cheshunt. A pleasant ride in both directions although rather 'damp' on the return journey.


That's it for now, keep checking back as I will add other bits as they happen, if they are not in the blog section.

No comments:

Post a Comment